- Adopt No-First-Use: A binding agreement by nuclear-armed states to never use nuclear weapons first would be a critical step toward preventing a disastrous nuclear exchange and pave the way to deep reductions in these arsenals. This can and should begin in the United States, which has no need to rely on the first use of nuclear weapons in any conflict.
- End Sole Authority: No single person should have the power to start a nuclear war that kills millions of people. In these alarming times, we fiercely champion emergency legislation that will restrain the President’s absolute power to use nuclear weapons, like the Restricting First Use of Nuclear Weapons Act.
- Block A $1.7 Trillion Nuclear Spending Spree: America should focus on funding education, healthcare, and infrastructure — not investing $1.7 trillion in nuclear weapons, which only serve to perpetuate the status quo.
- Increase Superfund Support: The US government must prioritize funding the cleanup of toxic waste left from decades of nuclear weapons production and testing, which does devastating harm to Americans and the environment.
- Enact Restorative Nuclear Justice: Vulnerable communities at home and abroad still suffer from the long-term impacts of the nuclear system and deserve recognition, justice, and reparations.
More info at BeyondTheBomb.org
Doug Pagitt is the Executive Director and one of the founders of Vote Common Good. He is also a pastor, author, and social activist. @pagitt